Please be advised that the Animal Control Officer reports that four cats that have been killed by coyotes in the Sconticut Neck, Manhattan Ave, Bay St, Brae Rd, Grove St area. There are steps residents can take to personally make their pets and property
safer as recommended by the Mass Dept of Fish & Wildlife:
· Keep pets safe indoors or in a protected yard,
· keep all animal food indoors,
· Secure trash by using covered cans,
· Take out trash the morning of pick-up and not the night before
· Keep compost piles in containers designed for that purpose,
· Leave no food scraps around,
· Keep bird feeding areas clean,
· Close off crawl spaces under porches and sheds,
· Cut back brushy edges in your yard, and
· Protect livestock and produce.
For more helpful tips from the Massachusetts Department of Energy and Environmental Affairs, click here.
For additional information, or to report a coyote problem, call the Animal Shelter at (508) 979-4028. If the Animal Control Officer is not available, call the Police Department business line at (508) 997-7421.