Skip Navigation
Welcome to Fairhaven, MA

Links for Residents
Links for Businesses
Links for Visitors

This table is used for column layout.
On Our Site

Site  This Folder
Frequently Asked Questions

When is the Senior Center open?
The building is open from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, except on week-ends and legal Holidays.

Where is the Senior Center located?
The Fairhaven Council on Aging is located at 229 Huttleston Avenue (Route 6) just east of Shop & Stop.  The Fairhaven Recreation Center is next door.

Is there a place where I can call for general advice and referral for elder issues?
Yes, the Fairhaven Senior Center is available Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 229 Huttleston Avenue, Fairhaven, or by calling 508-979-4029.

Sometimes a question is just too important to wait for an answer. 1-800-AGE-INFO offers up-to-date information on prescription drug assistance, health insurance, caregiving, transportation and other consumer issues and online at  or 

Massachusetts elders and their families can access the Commonwealth's premier one-stop connection to state and local programs and services on nights and weekends. Thanks to federal action, the Executive Office of Elder Affairs' toll free telephone line, 1-800-AGE INFO (1-800-243-4636).

Is there an accessible transportation door-to-door service for the elderly?
Yes, Monday - Friday from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM., The Fairhaven Senior Center provides transportation for the elderly and disabled via a door-to-door service year round as needed for medical appointments, local shopping, beauty/barber shops, banks, pharmacies and to the Senior Center. Call the Senior Center to set up an appointment.  You must call for medical appointment transportation as soon as possible.  One week in advance is strongly recommended to allow us time to arrange for a volunteer driver.  All rides depend on space and driver availability.  For more information call 508-979-4029.

Does the electric company offer a discount to seniors?
If you are currently eligible for fuel assistance or are receiving another means-tested public benefits (Food Stamps, Social Security Supplemental Income), you may also be eligible for NSTAR's Discount Rate. Call 1-800-566-2080 any day Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to speak with a customer service representative.

Does the phone company offer a discount to seniors?
Lifeline is a government program that offers qualified people a discount on their monthly local telephone bill. You are eligible for Lifeline if you participate in MassHealth, Fuel Assistance, Food Stamps and some of the other means-tested public benefits.  Call 508-979-4029 or visit the Senior Center at 229 Huttleston Avenue for an application.

What is available for adult day care in Fairhaven?
Fairhaven Supportive Social Day, Fairhaven Council on Aging, 229 Huttleston Ave., Fairhaven, provides a non-medical day care program in a community setting. This program is designed to enhance the physical, emotional and social well-being of senior adults, especially those who are socially isolated due to physical or emotional limitations. Call  508-993-9455 for information.

To What agency should I report suspicion of elder abuse or neglect?
In an emergency always dial 911 for immediate response. If this is NOT an emergency call the State's Elder Abuse HOTLINE at 1-800-922-2275 to file a report with their Protective Services.  An Elder at Risk can be filed with Bristol Elder Services by calling 508-679-0320. The Office of Bristol County District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn Elder Abuse Prevention can be reached at 508-997-0711. Detective Janis Bubluski, Elder Safety Officer of the Fairhaven Police Department can be reached at 508- 997-0711. All inquiries and reports are kept confidential.

Is there a food or meal program?
Yes," Meals on Wheels", Coastline Elderly Services, Inc. (CESI) is the Area Agency on Aging for the Greater New Bedford area. CESI provides meals for homebound individuals 60 years and over. For more information please contact the CESI Nutrition Coordinator at 508-999-6400.

There is a program called, "Congregate Lunch" for individuals 60 years of age and over, weekdays at 11:30 a.m. at the Fairhaven Senior Center, 229 Huttleston Ave., Fairhaven, plus numerous sites in the greater New Bedford area. For more information and to make or cancel a reservation for lunch, please call CESI Nutrition Coordinator at 508-999-6400. A voluntary donation of $2.00 is suggested.  Call 508-979-4029 for a ride if you would like to be picked up at home and returned after lunch.

Is there a Food Pantry?
Area Food Pantries makes nutritious food and staples available to anyone who does not have financial resources to buy food for themselves or their family. This food is intended to supplement their present food resources. A list available of locations, dates, times and eligibility requirements can be obtained at the Fairhaven Senior Center. The Fairhaven Council on Aging participates in the Greater Boston Food Bank which provides qualifying seniors 60 and over with supplemental non-perishable food items once monthly. Please call 508-979-4029 for information.

Is there a Telephone Reassurance Program?
Yes, the Fairhaven Senior Center, 229 Huttleston Ave., Fairhaven, offers a free Telephone Reassurance Program for elders who want to have a daily check-in with a responsible person. This service is provided by the Fairhaven Senior Center Monday through Friday and Atria Assisted-Living of Fairhaven on weekends and holidays.  For more information about the Telephone Reassurance Program, to be put on their list, or about any of their other programs, please call the Fairhaven Council on Aging at 508-979-4029.

Is there a Fuel Assistant Program?
Yes, the Fairhaven Senior Center office has applications for fuel assistance. Fuel assistance is available for those who have low income, fixed income, or suffering financial hardship. Eligibility is determined by a combination of size of household and income. Because appointments are necessary, and you think you may be eligible, call (508) 979-4029  or email us at:
How do I obtain a handicapped parking permit?
Applications for local-use placards can be obtained at the Fairhaven Police Department or through the Fairhaven Senior Center at 508-979-4029. How do I obtain a handicapped license plate for Massachusetts? State licensed handicapped plates may be obtained through the Registry of Motor Vehicles.  

Am I required to have safety detectors in my house?
Yes, smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are required by Massachusetts State law. Please contact the Fairhaven Fire Department for more information 508-994-1428.

Are there home care services available?
Yes, there are many options, both public and private, for home care services. Coastline Elderly Services, Inc. provides two state funded programs for elders who are no longer independent but wish to remain in their homes. The HOME CARE PROGRAM requires that an elder be at least 60 years old, and need assistance with at least one critical task such as bathing, personal care, meal preparation, shopping, light housekeeping, transportation and must fulfill income requirements. The RESPITE PROGRAM requires that an elder must be at least 60 years old, need assistance with at least one critical task and have a daily care giver. Payment for both programs is on a sliding scale. For more information contact the Coastline Elderly Services, Inc. for Elder Services, at 508-999-6400 or Coastline Elderly Services, Inc.

Is there an Emergency Life Line Service available in Fairhaven?
Yes, the Fairhaven Senior Center can assist you with acquiring a personal emergency response system which allows elderly people to remain independent in their own environment with a medical emergency call system. Multiple agencies provide Life line systems which are leased at monthly rate, along with an additional charge for the installation. For a list of providers or more information please all 508-979-4029.

Where can I find information about housing assistance?
We have a regional list on the housing options available for residents 60 years of age and older or disabled residents that range from independent living to supportive preferences. You may reach the Fairhaven Housing Authority, at 275 Main St., Fairhaven 508-993-1144, or stop the Senior Center for an application and assistance.   

Is there a way I can see an attorney for a non criminal matter in Fairhaven?
Yes, we are fortunate to have an attorney at the Senior Center on a monthly basis by appointment.  We also work with area Legal Services that provide legal representation to low income and elderly clients in the areas of housing, government benefits,  family law, and elder law. Call to check eligibility and to schedule an appointment at 508-979-4029.

Is it possible to get assistance to help me with paying my bills on time or help me with my check book?
Yes, the Fairhaven Senior Center works in conjunction with Coastline Elderly Services, Inc. (CESI) to provide a Money Management program to help you. The CESI Money Management Manager will assign a trained, supervised volunteer to assist you with bill paying and monitor bill payments. For further questions about this program contact the Money Management Manager at Coastline Elderly Services, Inc. at 508-999-6400 or Senior Center at 508-979-4029.

Social Security, Insurance, Medicare Assistance and Transitional Assistance
Yes, an Outreach Worker meets with seniors either in their homes or in the office to assess an elder's situation, explain community programs and benefits, assist with applications to needed programs, aid elders in their search for services, and act as an advocate and support for elders in need. Appointments may be made at 508-979-4029.  For applications and fact sheets for over 250 public programs that will help pay for prescription drugs and health care, visit Benefits Check Up at .

Can I get Social Security forms and assistance on the Internet?
Yes, visit

What is SHINE?
SHINE (Serving the Health Information Needs of Elders) provides free health insurance information, assistance, and counseling to Medicare beneficiaries of all ages and their care givers. The Massachusetts Executive Office of Elder Affairs supports the SHINE program in partnership with elder service agencies and Councils on Aging. SHINE is partially funded by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). The SHINE Program ensures that healthcare consumers have a competent, committed, and compassionate consumer-focused network of staff and volunteers who provide accurate and objective information through innovative community programs at the state and local levels.

What do SHINE Counselors do?
SHINE counselors are dedicated community volunteers who are trained and certified by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs to explain many areas of health insurance including Medicare, Medigap, Medicare HMO's, prescription drug programs, MassHealth (Medicaid), and other health care assistance programs. SHINE counselors help seniors and all Medicare beneficiaries understand their rights and benefits under Medicare and their other health insurance coverage. Counselors also review present coverage, provide written benefits comparisons, prevent consumers from buying unnecessary or duplicate coverage, and help prepare health benefit claim forms, appeals, and applications. All information is kept strictly confidential. If you have questions concerning health insurance, Medicare, Medigap, Medicaid, etc., call the Senior Center office and make an appointment to meet with our SHINE counselors at 508-979-4029

Is there a support for Caregivers?
Yes, we have a list of regional support group meetings. In addition, Fairhaven Senior Center provides monthly sessions, private consultations, and a variety of support for family members who provide care for others. This support may include requesting an overall evaluation of the situation, including an assessment of the person they help care for, and can receive information support and education about various topics, e.g., the disease process (including Alzheimer's Disease); managing medications; giving personal care; maintaining safety; planning for future health care needs; caring for themselves while caring for someone else, etc. For more information please call of Fairhaven Senior Center at 508-979-4029 or : National Family Caregivers Association

Which holiday closings are observed at the Senior Center?
The Fairhaven Senior Center is closed on all Federal and State holidays. These include: New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, President's Day, Patriot's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. When a holiday falls on a Saturday then we will close on Friday. When the holiday falls on Sunday we will close on Monday.

What storm or emergency conditions call for facility closings?
In the event that the Fairhaven Town Hall is closed because of snow or unsafe weather conditions, the Fairhaven Council on Aging will also be closed. If Fairhaven schools are cancelled, The Fairhaven Supportive Social Day will also be cancelled. The Fairhaven Supportive Social Day Program may be open with no transportation, due to weather conditions, at the discretion of the director. School closings and state of emergencies are announced on the local TV and radio stations.

For inquiries contact the Fairhaven Senior Center, 229 Huttleston Avenue, call  508-979-4029, or email


40 Center Street, Fairhaven, MA 02719
ph: 508.979.4023    fx: 508.979.4079
Virtual Towns & Schools Website
Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

Folder template for specified resource /Pages/FairhavenMA_COA/faq could not be sent. (reason: 1015)