Supportive Social Day Care Center provides a community environment program five days per week. The program is located in the Senior Center and is open on Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM until 3:00 PM. You can reach the Social Day Care Center at 508-993-9455. This program is designed to enhance the physical, emotional, and social well-being of senior adults, especially those who are socially isolated due to physical or emotional limitations. The program is a fee-for-service program costing $15.00 for half a day and $30.00 per day for eligible clients. Financial assistance is available, for those who qualify, through private / public grants and Coastline Elderly Services. Transportation is also available for an additional cost.
Individualized and group programs of social activities are provided to clients who require daytime supervision at sites other than their homes. Participants spend the day in a community setting with an atmosphere of understanding, laughter and sharing. Supervised activities are designed in a holistic manner with planned recreational and social activities suited to the needs of the participants and intended to encourage physical and mental stimulation and promote social interaction. Participants are provided with one meal and two snacks per day.
DANCING WITH THE SENIOR STARS
Why Consider Supportive Day Services?
For family and friends struggling with the task of taking care of an individual on their own, the supportive day program provides a cost-effective, flexible, and convenient alternative to institutionalization. It also:
· Provides relief for family members
· Enhances the development of interpersonal relationships
· Promotes physical and emotional well-being
· Offers warmth, enjoyment, and laughter
· Addresses an individual's strengths, needs, and problems
· Challenges and taps the potential abilities of participants
· Encourages peers to interact with and help each other
· Combats loneliness and depression
· Provides supervision or slight assistance with activities of daily living such as walking, eating, toileting, and grooming
· Ensures the safety and well-being of a loved one when the family or caregiver cannot be there
The Senior Center Helps families coordinate health and therapeutic community services.
Our Social Day Program is one alterative within the elder care network.
Joyce Cookinham and Sue Roderiques
For inquiries contact Joyce or Sue at the Fairhaven Senior Center at 229 Huttleston Avenue, call 508-993-9455.